Dr Efthimia Karra
Acute and general medicine, Endocrinology and Diabetes, General Internal Medicine
Medical interests: Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes mellitus, Common and rare Thyroid disorders, Osteoporosis, parathyroid disease and calcium balance disorders, Antenatal Diabetes and Endocrinology, Obesity & Polycystic ovarian syndrome, Pituitary and adrenal disease, General and Acute Medicine
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
DIABETES & ENDOCRINOLOGY
I look after patients within all aspects of Diabetes and Endocrinology in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. As a Consultant at the Royal Free London Hospital I treat more than 1000 patients with Diabetes & Endocrine disorders in my outpatient clinics per year.
Endocrinology: I have set-up and lead the Specialist Thyroid clinic at the Royal Free Hospital. I also undertake regular General Endocrinology Clinics where I treat patients with parathyroid disorders, osteoporosis, calcium disorders, pituitary disease, adrenal disorders, obesity, polycystic ovarian syndrome, menstrual irregularities and menopausal symptoms, hypogonadism and symptoms of fatigue, sweating and flushing. I am a core member of the Thyroid, Parathyroid and Adrenal Royal Free London MDTs (Multidisciplinary Team Meetings). In addition to my role as the Clinical Lead for the Thyroid Services, I am the Clinical Lead for the overall Royal Free London Endocrine Outpatient Services transformation & redesign Programme.
Diabetes: My practice in Diabetes includes adult type 1 & type 2 outpatient Diabetes Clinics; and in the inpatient setting the management of Acute Diabetes emergencies, Diabetes and its complications in acutely unwell patients. Furthermore, I am one of the two Consultants who deliver Specialist antenatal clinic at the Royal Free for the management of Diabetes (type 1/type 2/gestational diabetes) and Endocrine disorders in pregnancy.
ACUTE and GENERAL MEDICINE
At the Royal Free Hospital, I regularly participate to the Acute Medical on calls looking after acutely unwell patients across a spectrum of systemic disorders and often of high acuity and disease complexity. In addition, I contribute to the delivery of the Acute Medical rota at the Princess Grace Hospital. My broad range of clinical experience and expertise enables me to consistently deliver holistic, patient-focused, evidence-based, high-quality, individualised clinical care. Moreover, my patients benefit from my close collaborations with professionals across all Medical & Surgical specialties.
Dr Efthimia Karra obtained her Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2006. Dr Karra undertook her specialist training in Diabetes & Endocrinology and General internal Medicine in the North Central London Specialist Registrar Training Scheme (University College Hospital based-rotation). She was awarded the prestigious Wellcome Trust Clinical Training Research Fellowship in 2011. Dr Karra undertook research in the field of Obesity, gut hormone physiology and Metabolic Medicine in the Academic Centre for Diabetes & Endocrinology of University College London. She was awarded a PhD for her research work from University College London in 2014. Since 2015, Dr Karra has been working as a Substantive Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology and Acute Medicine at the Royal Free Hospital, where she is the Clinical Lead for Thyroid Services and the Clinical Lead for the Endocrine Outpatient Services transformation & redesign Programme.
1. Diagnosis and ongoing management of type 1 & type 2 Diabetes mellitus and their complications.
2. Diagnosis and management of common and rare Thyroid disorders.
3. Diagnosis and management of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disorders.
4. Diagnosis and management of parathyroid disease and calcium imbalance disorders.
5. Diagnosis and management of antenatal Diabetes & Endocrinology.
6. Medical management of Obesity management and the metabolic syndrome.
7. Diagnosis and management of polycystic ovarian syndrome and amenorrhoea.
8. Diagnosis and management of adrenal disorders.
9. Neuroendocrine disorders of the pituitary and hypothalamus.
10. Investigation and management of endocrine causes of fatigue
11. Investigation and management of endocrine causes of flushing and sweating
12. General Internal and Acute Medicine
*Other times may be available on request
|Type of patient||Initial consultation||Follow up consultation|
|Insured||Within the schedule of charges for specific insurance companies*||Within the schedule of charges for specific insurance companies*|
* If your policy covers consultations, there will be no shortfall to pay (but you may have an excess on your policy). Please also note that some policies do not cover consultations – always check your policy conditions or contact with your insurer as necessary.
Dr Efthimia Karra is a member of TPC’s on-call rota. For weekends and public holidays only, the doctor receives a fee of £416-460 for being on-call from 6am to 10pm.