Dr Gavin Johnson
Medical interests: Gastroenterology, endoscopy, ERCP, pancreaticobiliary medicine, gastroenterology and endoscopy training.BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
As a Gastroenterologist and a dedicated medical educator I am able to bring the very latest evidence-based medicine to my practice. I find the most rewarding aspect of my work is spending time with patients so that I understand their concerns and so that they are fully involved with their management and treatment plan. I see patients with a variety of abdominal and intestinal complaints; my specialist interest is endoscopy (including ERCP), and pancreaticobiliary medicine.
I see patients with problems or symptoms related to the liver or the digestive tract. My specialist interest is in panceaticobiliary medicine (problems related to the bile duct and panceas) and specialist endoscopy, including ERCP.
- Abdominal pain
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Weight loss
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Procedures performed
I offer the following procedures for diagnosis and treatment:
- Upper GI endoscopy and gastroscopy (OGD)
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Polypectomy (endoscopic polyp removal)
- Enteral stenting (gastric, duodenal, colonic stents)
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Naso-jejunal tube insertion (for tube feeding)
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) jejunal tube insertion.
- Conditions diagnosed and treated
- Liver disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Iron deficiency anaemia
- Bowel cancer
- Polyps (in the colon)
- Gallstones (stones in the gallbladder that stick in the bile duct and cause pain, fever and other symptoms)
- Acute pancreatitis (acute inflammation of the pancreas)
- Chronic pancreatitis (recurrent inflammation of the pancreas)
- Pancreatic cancer
- Cholangitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Dysfunction of the sphincter of Oddi (band of muscle within the bile duct/pancreatic duct)
- Research interests
- Assessment in medicine; endoscopy training; distance learning
Dr Gavin Johnson graduated with merit from Newcastle University in 1998, and went on to undertake postgraduate training in the North East,Sydney, and in London. He has been on the specialist register for Gastroenterology since 2009. During his training Dr Johnson spent some time as an Education Fellow at the Royal College of Physicians, running nationwide projects that culminated in a Diploma, Masters and MD in Medical Education. He has published numerous peer reviewed papers and book chapters in Gastroenterology and Medical Education.
Dr Gavin Johnson is a Consultant Gastroenterologist at University College London Hospitals (UCLH), where he is also lead for Education within the GI Services Division. He has developed a hands-on ERCP course at UCLH, and is also involved in organising several other postgraduate Gastroenterology courses at UCLH.
Dr Johnson is also a Senior Lecturer at UCL Medical School in Medical Education, where he leads Digestive Health undergraduate training. He is currently undertaking consultancy work for the General Medical Council evaluating aspects of their fitness to practice procedures.
Dr Johnson is the editor of UEG eLearning which involves collaboration with world experts in all aspects of Gastroenterology in developing educational resources. He is also on the editorial group of Frontline Gastroenterology.
Consultant Gastroenterologist at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
*Other times may be available on request